Monday, August 2, 2010

I Just Lurve Snippets!

(Especially if it's Kate and Curran!!)


Damn it all to hell.  “Who snitched?”
“When you called Barabas, it became an issue and he had to give Jim a heads up in case our security had to storm the GBI offices and bust you out of there.  I found out when I saw Jim walking down the hallway snickering to himself.”
I made a mental note to punch Jim in the arm next time I saw him.   “Thought it was funny, did he?”
Curran’s face took on a steel-hard expression.  “I didn’t think it was funny.”
Oh-oh.  “People were about to die and I could save them.”
“You could’ve been killed.  For what?  For the necromancers?”
“There was a girl.  The PAD opened fire and cut her leg almost completely off.  She might have been twenty tops.  She almost bled to death in my office.”
“It was her choice.  If she wanted to stay safe, she could’ve joined the Girl Scouts.  She isn’t out selling cookies, she’s piloting diseased corpses for a living.”
I twisted, trying to break the lock of his fingers on my wrists.  “So you would’ve stood by and let the PAD kill four people?”
Curran moved my hands back and forth, looking into my ears of all places, as if the answer was hiding in there.  “Four of the People.  Not only that, but I can take a shot from M24.  You can’t.”
I jerked my hands above my head.  The move stretched him above me and suddenly we were face to face.  A little thrill ran through me.  Being in close proximity to Curran always made arguing difficult.  I still managed.
“When you offered me this business, did you think I would stay in the office all day baking cookies?”
“Nobody ever died of being shot by a cookie.”
He had me there.  I groped about my brain for a snappy come back.  “There is always the first time.”
Oh now there was a brilliant response.  No doubt he’d now collapse at my feet in awe at my intellectual magnificence.
“If anybody could manage being shot by a cookie, it would be you.” Curran shifted his weight on top of me.  His hold relaxed.
I bumped his nose with my forehead, gently.  “Boom.  Now you’re dazed and bleeding all over.  And then I free my hands and knock you over, like so.”  I slipped my hand  out of his hold and nudged his side with my fist.  “And then I have my evil way with you, while lay there, helpless.”
“And bleeding?”
“No, you stopped bleeding, because you’re a shapeshifter.”
He jerked my hand aside and dipped his head.  His lips brushed mine, at first tender, than teasing, then insistent and I melted right into it.  His tongue parted my lips and slid inside of my mouth.  His tongue teased mine and I teased back, asking for more, drinking him in.
“I’m glad you’re alive,” he told me.
“Me too.”
I nipped his lower lip.  His eyes turned a darker grey.  He dipped his head and kissed me again.  The shock of his tongue against mine was electrifying. I smelled him, I tasted him, I felt his arms around me, and it left me dizzy and breathless, and craving more. I slid my arms around his neck, molding myself against him.  The hard muscle bunched under my fingers, and I kissed him back, his lips, the corner of his mouth, the sensitive point under his jaw, tasting his sweat and the sharp touch of stubble on my lips.  He made a quiet masculine noise, halfway between a deep growling rumble and a purr.  My heart beat faster.  I wanted out of my clothes.  His hands slid under my sweatshirt.  I arched my back…
He stopped.
“What?”
Curran pulled his hand out.  His fingers were dark with congealed blood.  “Human.”
Aaaaand the happy moment screeched to a halt.

No comments:

Post a Comment