Tuesday, April 27, 2010

My Review on 'Be Mine Tonight' :The Brotherhood Of The Blood Series By Kathryn Smith

Some spoilers..FYI

I have seldom encountered a book, particularly a series, in the historical/vampire genre. First book that comes to mind is the Cin Craven Series and it's one of my favorites. The first book of the series of The Brotherhood of the Blood, was surprisingly good. I was not expecting the story to take place years in the past with the cover looking hot and passionate. Not that historical books can't be hot LOL. I liked the premised that the brotherhood became vampires because they had drank from the Blood Grail thinking it to be the Holy Grail.
The brotherhood was on a mission to capture the Holy grail when Chapel was terribly injured. They were in a tunnel where the Templars had hidden the Holy Grail. Thinking of saving himself, he drank from the cup. When he drank, all of the brothers drank with him after seeing his injuries healed. It did not only saved him but made all of them immortal. These vampires were Catholic and has deep ties to the church, before the church 'purged' them from evil. Centuries later, of the 5 brothers, he was the only one left who remained in the service of the church. He believes that he is evil and working for the church will eventually bring him closer to salvation.
Prudence was vibrant, full of life but she was dying. Feeling cheated out of life, she endeavored to save herself by searching for the Holy Grail convinced that it will cure her out of Cancer.
The two were irrisistably drawn to each other. But, with Chapel being a vampire and thinking himself tainted with evil and Prudence wanting to live, therein lies the conflict. Chapel does not want to turn her into a monster ,risking instead of losing her to death forever. It was really touching how Chapel has to overcome his self loathing and eventually accepts himself as he is so that he in turn can save Prudence. The struggles both of them went through before Prudence gasped her last breath was touching that I was teary-eyed reading. But of course, I knew in the end that Chapel could not bear to lose Prudence and not live with her forever.

This is a wonderful series and I will definitely look for the others.

3 comments:

  1. Is this available at National? Booksale? Ebook?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Arlene, I absolutely loved this story. I think I even cried at the end. The next books in the series are great as well. I like your blog by the way. Happy reading.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ronda! So thrilled to see your comment :) Thanks and hope you can drop by again soon! I'm just so busy right now that I can't post any new reviews but so far I'm already at book 3 of the Brotherhood of the Blood. :) I totally love it! And so far Book 1 is my fave.

    ReplyDelete